Collaboration with blue oyster hotel
Due to the lack of a formal organization, there were a couple of incidents, between guests harassment, local guides and drivers harassment , lack of communication, loss of revenues to the locals and lack of management skills. This created a disharmony and dissatisfaction to some of the guests and locals.
Therefore the idea of KEMI TOURS & TRAVEL was born. Kemi Tours & Travel was formed with the intention of bringing together the locals and the guests in a mutually beneficial relationship. A safe environment and reliable advices on the best options and possibilities to manage time and money in order to explore the best of Zanzibar Island. Reduce conflict between the guests and the locals and the local authorities, payment of due taxes and fill in the communication gap between the involved parties. Well this was just the beginning.
Currently Kemi Tours & Travel is being assisted by the Blue Oyster Hotel to form and to plan its activities. This collaboration and the already existing experience level resulted in serving more satisfied customers in our first year than expected. With loads of milestones and good periods it has actually outpaced most of it target objectives for the set time frame.
Its dreams and ambitions are to provide an excellent experience of Zanzibar and employ on a permanent basis as many local citizens. Above all its wish is to support Eco Friendly tourism and to highly appreciate all guests’ feedbacks and recommendations.
Assist ecotourism with our local knowledge
Ecotourism is the “Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people” (TIES, The international Ecotourism Society 1990).
The increasing tourism is a chance for development and change in Zanzibar. Besides that we should not forget that tourism can have negative impacts on the country, the people and the environment as well. To sustain the magic of Zanzibar we want to follow the guidelines of ecotourism.
All contributors of Kemi Tours & Travel are natives, the tours are made by local tour guides and the money benefits the guides and their families. Focusing on the vision “run by locals for locals”, we want to bring together the locals and the guests in a mutually beneficial relationship.
It is our aim to support the local small businesses so that tourism doesn’t result in social injustice, excessive demands and environmental problems. Zanzibar and its people should have the possibility to take part in the development through tourism.
Acting foresighted and eco-friendly, we will try to sustain and preserve this magnificent continent and its islands.
We do this by the following means:
- Supporting and promoting locally produced and manufactured goods
- Focusing on community development and environmental sustainability
- Promoting the importance of the sustainability to tourists and local communities to ensure a positive legacy which can established and maintained
- Promoting responsible visitor behavior
- Waste reduction, re-use and recycle
- Facilitating cultural exchange between clients and communities
- Supporting, using and encouraging businesses that actively support sustainability
- Raising awareness on the importance of sustainability among clients
- Encouraging clients to eat local foods therefore reducing the amount of food imported
- Encouraging clients to conserve resources like electricity and water
- Provide financial benefits and empowerment for local people.